Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov 10, 2017 10:52 AM

PhoenixFlame
Gems: 0

Weird Save Glitch/Problem

I tried looking around to find information on this problem, and while I couldn't find anything I came across this site so figured I'd mention it here and see if I could get any help. I'll try and give as much detail as I can in case someone can maybe understand what's going on better than I can.

I tend to have my three save files fully completed if possible, and then just overwrite one to play through Gateway to Glimmer again - I'm not sure if it being this version of the game makes a difference, but thought I'd mention it was that and not Ripto's Rage. I hadn't played it in a while, but I'm pretty sure all save files were near enough complete the last time I played it through.

When I booted it up yesterday, I found that the first save file was blank, and the other two were still at 100%. I was confused, but my sister also plays it from time to time, so I figured maybe she started a game or didn't save it over the file or something. She wasn't bothered and didn't remember doing it, so I went ahead and started a new game on that file. Everything seemed normal up until I finished Colossus: I noticed that it said autosave wasn't on, which was strange, because I've never had that pop up before. The game has always autosaved for me and usually I also do a manual save before I actually turn off my PS1.

I was confused, but figured I'd go and just manually save it instead before I continued. Things then became even more baffling, as the screen said this:

File 0 - 94%
File 1 - 100%
File 2 - 100%

Essentially, it looked like the game was telling me the first file was empty on the main menu, but on the 'Save Game' screen from within the Guidebook it was claiming to be at 94%. I even took a quick look on my memory card to see if maybe there was any corrupted data - my hardware is pretty old, I've had it probably close to 15 years or more - but I couldn't see anything that stood out. I didn't try saving over that File 0 with the new one I was playing because I was worried I might damage the data further, if that's what has happened.

Since my understanding of technology isn't too in depth, I figured posting this somewhere would be the best chance I have at finding out what has happened, and whether there's anything I can do to fix it. If not, then at least it's out there so if anyone experiences something similar, then they know it's happened before!

#2 Nov 10, 2017 7:29 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Award: Admin
Gems: 540
Birthday: 3 April
Website

Re: Weird Save Glitch/Problem

That's pretty weird. What was the File 0 save percent before? I wonder if the connection between the memory card and the console was unstable, like some dust got in there or something, and it was somehow only able to see two of the three save files for a time. That would explain why the autosave wasn't working. I'm not sure if this is even possible hardware-wise, however.

#3 Nov 11, 2017 9:58 AM

Gekoncze
Baby Dragon
Award: Speedway Contest Winner Final
Gems: 145

Scratched CD maybe?

Last edited by Gekoncze (Nov 11, 2017 9:59 AM)

#4 Nov 11, 2017 12:40 PM

PhoenixFlame
Gems: 0

Both of those are possible reasons why!

Like I said, I've had my hardware since I was a kid, and as far as I know the memory card hasn't really ever been removed. It does however sit under a cabinet under my grandma's TV, so there's definitely potential for some dust to get in there. Next time I'm there, I'll try giving the card a wiggle/checking if there's any dust that managed to sneak in, and I'll see if that changes anything. As for what the File 0 % was before, I'm not sure, because the only time I've ever seen it was when I went to save yesterday and thought it looked odd.

Considering I've had my copies of the games since I was quite young, I definitely know the CDs are a little scratched (younger me really had no idea how much older me would come to love these titles, whoops). I remember lamenting that with my sister not too long ago when I noticed, so that could possibly be a factor too, though I haven't noticed anything else odd happening with the game that might be caused by scratches.

#5 Nov 11, 2017 9:21 PM

Gekoncze
Baby Dragon
Award: Speedway Contest Winner Final
Gems: 145

Sometimes strange things can happen only after certain steps are made. For example, I have a slightly scratched Spyro year of the dragon CD. When the main screen with Spyro kicking the rhinoc appear, some random sounds can play in the background, depending on the last level I played before exitting to main menu (does not happen after fresh start). Sometimes the sounds are just deformed, other times an egg hatching sound loops in the background or spyro running sound loops. Otherwise the game works perfectly.

Last edited by Gekoncze (Nov 11, 2017 9:22 PM)

#6 Nov 12, 2017 9:29 AM

Morgan
Gems: 65

#7 Jun 05, 2018 12:16 AM

Dark Intentions
Gems: 96
Birthday: 30 November

Perhaps it's the effects of excessive overwriting?
I believe that could wear out cassette tapes (both video and audio) back in the 90's so why not PS/PS2 cards?

My console and Spyro copies are about as old as yours but I've also only ever saved two games of Ripto's Rage and have never experienced this issue.

Board footer