You are not logged in.

#1 Sep 07, 2007 10:47 PM

EternalNight
Gems: 0

Is Spyro's name greek?

I did a search on Spyro on the official wikipedia (no uncyclopedia) and it came up with other names like Spyros, Spyridon and its origions are traced to Latin Spiritum and Roman Praenoman Spurius, relating to Spyro. It also had information on famous people that had the name Spyros.

This is interesting information. This is all true and was wondering if anyone thinks this is true too.

#2 Sep 08, 2007 12:00 AM

ratchet
Website

Re: Is Spyro's name greek?

really, spyro comes from pyro (meaning fire) and the S is just for show
but pyro might be a greak word
Apart from that, i have a greek friend across the road who has the last name spyrou

#3 Sep 08, 2007 12:22 AM

EternalNight

Interesting, I think I saw a nameof a greek god with spyro in it. I'll search for ti and get back to ya.

#4 Sep 08, 2007 5:30 AM

Spyro_Loves_Me
Website

I think I'd go with Ratchet on this one.
Obviously Spyro is a pyro. Therefore, instead of having him go around with the name "Pyro", they probably decided to make it an actual name.
Which became Spyro.
Well, that's what I think. smile
Also, from what I've read, Spyro(s) was just a popular Greek male name which was the shortened form of Spyridon. So it doesn't really sound like this name is anything special. Just commonly used.

#5 Sep 08, 2007 9:44 AM

EternalNight

Apparently it means 'spirit'

#6 Sep 08, 2007 1:25 PM

Tenshi Saito

It may be Greek, but I am not sure. I have seen the word Spyro in other places before though (example - the band Spyro Gyra). I don't think it comes from Pyro but they probably wanted it to sound like itself.

#7 Sep 08, 2007 6:23 PM

Razz
Website

Well, dang. Everything I wanted to say has already been said. big_smile

But, for the record, Spyro Gyra is an awesome group if you like jazz.

#8 Sep 09, 2007 2:25 AM

dragon protector x
Gems: 20
Birthday: 30 January
Website

I think my science teacher said that pyro is a greek word. So it does make scence that they may have added an s at the begining of pyro to get the name Spyro. wow that last part rymed....not a good sign. and it doesnt help when im doing a poem for homework.

I am a starting artist and video editor.

#9 Sep 09, 2007 11:29 AM

Rexy
Website

I see the name to be some sort of pun if you ask me. Firstly there's the fire/pyro- thing to show that he's a fire-breathing dragon. Secondly an unusual characteristic for Spyro is that he's light and speedy when most other dragons are sluggish and heavy, hence having a burst of energy that would relate to the initial "spirit" meaning of his name. And thirdly, since we're looking a European variety of dragon (in contrast to the Chinese variety) and that their origins came from Roman/Greek mythology, it's only fair that a Greek name was opted for him.

So yeah, there we go o.O

Board footer