Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug 05, 2014 6:51 PM

UpDownLeftWrite
Gems: 0

Me, Myself, and Enter the Dragonfly

I played the original Spyro trilogy to death as a kid and I still do now. But there are other Spyro games I own that I didn't really give a chance. This is the first of many blogs of me playing these Spyro games more or less blind. I have some experience with this game (like one level), but it will be mostly blind. I hope you guys enjoy it. I am going to dread this (Enter the Dragonfly at least)

Stop dragon your feet...

#2 Aug 05, 2014 7:16 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Award: Admin
Gems: 540
Birthday: 3 April
Website

Re: Me, Myself, and Enter the Dragonfly

Haha, good luck! Make sure you save often in case you run into any infinite loading screens or other game-breaking glitches. tongue

#3 Aug 05, 2014 7:41 PM

UpDownLeftWrite

Edit: Dragon Dojo Part 1/2

Alright, I made it halfway though the Dragon Dojo, I believe that's what it's called. Anyway, first thing I need to mention is the opening cutscene. Everyone is having a celebration for the new Dragonflies. Alright, they got balloons, that's cool. WHY is the Sorceress one of the balloons? That's like having Harry Potter celebrate his birthday with Voldemort streamers. Sorry, just a little thing that bothered me ha. Well, Ripto's back, and he's STRONGER THAN EVAR!! For some reason Gulp speaks now...I guess... Anyway, the game begins and JEEZ the framerate rears its horns right at you as soon as possible. It goes from silky smooth to chunky butter every 3 seconds. In terms of the graphics, there are passable, but I have a question. Does this game have an LOD system, or not? I mean it's hard to tell. Catching Dragonflies sucks, nuff said. Finding gems has become a bit more difficult. In the previous games, gems farther away would sparkle so you would know where they are. In this game, they do not do that. In fact, they pop up when you are about 10 feet away. You could look into an open field from the sky and not see any gems, but come within 10 ft and then they pop in. Not a huge issue, just one of those nitpicky moments. Switching breaths I think would've been better if it was mapped to the d-pad, like press up for fire, down for water, etc. Oh yeah, Sparx will stop you before you come into contact with ANYTHING and tells you what to do. Again, another nitpick. I'm in the Dojo Speedway now, and of course that pesky framerate strikes back. I had 3 seconds left on the timer and I missed the last hang glider... GOOD GOD!! I've stopped there for now, I don't know how I'm going to be able to do this, I feel like skipping this and go on to Hero's Tail...but I must persevere...for Stewart Copeland, who has brought the only redeemable thing to this game, the soundtrack, which is just amazing...Well, I'll see if I can do more later today, hold me...

Last edited by UpDownLeftWrite (Aug 06, 2014 11:46 PM)

Stop dragon your feet...

#4 Aug 05, 2014 9:21 PM

RadSpyro
Website

Are you playing on Gamecube or PS2? If it's the latter, then I wish you the best of luck. I remember getting this game and being super excited about it, getting to the tank minigame in Dragon Dojo, beating it after a struggled and then it crashed on me. It kept crashing too, which was why I never completed it (but did enjoy the Gamecube version years later... To a degree).

#5 Aug 05, 2014 9:45 PM

Sheep
Award: Skateboard Contest Winner
Birthday: 20 January
Website

Maybe they have a Sorceress balloon just to pop it afterwards? smile
(or it's there to emphasis the fact that the game takes place immediately(?) after Spyro 3)

I'm impressed if you get all the way through tongue I got bored and quit around the middle.

#6 Aug 05, 2014 11:24 PM

UpDownLeftWrite

I'm playing the PS2 version, but I have a slim now so it shouldn't lock up as much...I hope. I plan on getting 100%.

Dragon Dojo Part 2/2

Alright, I finished Dragon Dojo. Upon looking at the Atlas I noticed this game has a grand total of...NINE LEVELS?!?! I also ran into that delightful Moneybags, who from what i hear, only shows up once, so YIPPEE!! At the end of Dojo I was missing 2 red gems...joys...I finally found them after awhile. I got all the dragonflies except for one I'm assuming you need the Ice breath for? (The one where you get the kites out of the rocks). the tank minigame was meh. Nothing special, it's weird to see Spyro in a tank though. I also love how the Electric breath is just in the lily pond, you know, just sitting there.

Dragon Realms

Used Electric breath on the gate, ADVENTURE HO!! This part of the hubworld is where you can do the very easy swim-in-the-air glitch by swimming into the fish fence. I did it so I can get around the area easier and get the gems, but only in the area I unlocked, I didn't go anywhere else. The electric pole challenge is annoying, but oh well. Another thing quite odd is the yellow gem quantity in the hubworld is 25, NOT 10...uhhh...what?

Crop Circle Country Part 1/2

This is the only other level I kinda remember playing as a kid. First off, you will get bombarded by like 6 Dinosaurs with LAZERS and the framerate is just like NOOOOPE!! I managed to kill one of the Dinosaurs and he didn't do his death animation, he just moved backwards and went up into the air...I still got the gem so whatever. The yellow gem count in this level is 10, NOT 25...why is the yellow gem being a rebel? First it's 25, now it's 10, then it will be 100. This game can't make up its mind. First appearance of the vases in this level. When you flame them, they shake...yeah. The NPCs in this level are also pretty weird looking. Uncanny Valley indeed. What's even crazier is the fact that these NPCs are enemies in one of the speedway levels from Year of the Dragon. That's like taking one of the lobsters from Harbor Speedway (I believe that's what it's called) and making him your sidekick...I don't know, it's just weird. Oh yeah, there are two moons in this level. OK. I just entered the Spaceship minigame and I beat the first part, I stopped at the second part. I'm gonna start again tomorrow and keep you guys and gals updated...

Last edited by UpDownLeftWrite (Aug 06, 2014 11:46 PM)

Stop dragon your feet...

#7 Aug 06, 2014 8:13 PM

UpDownLeftWrite

Crop Circle Country 2/2

Ok, so I finished this level up quicker than I thought. The platforming minigame was pretty cool looking, but was bland gameplay wise. At this point I realized that I didn't even care about the music in this game...DEAR GOD...I'm so sick of this...

Luau Island

I went to Luau Island and...it wasn't bad. The level music is amazing, and it was pretty easy and linear compared to the other levels. I usually don't like Spyro games to be linear, but for this case, I'll make an exception. The framerate wasn't bad either, most of time. But of course, those pesky glitches came full force at me. Stuff like the level environments not loading, so I'm just looking at floating trees and enemies. Enemies were invisible...Yes you heard me right. INVISIBLE ENEMIES!! All I saw of them were the torches they were carrying! There was only one minigame here, and it involves you either trapping more stingrays than Hunter, or getting all of the stingrays WITH Hunter. I skipped through all of the text, I didn't care what I was doing, I just wanted to get on with it. I won so I did something right. Here a weird tidbit, the NPCs in this the level (Bears in tropical shirts) are the same soundclips the Professor uses in previous Spyro games. (When idle they will say "AHA" and "HMMM" just like the Professor). Just a little thing I noticed. I also found another medallion which I thought would give me Ice Breath...nope. It gave me a Wing Shield...I don't think I'll ever use this. I got all the dragonflies no problem, but the gems...DEAR GOD. OK, imagine this, you need one last gem. You search everywhere and you finally find it in a glass vase underwater. You break it open, miss the gem, and it clips though the ground and you can't GET IT!! JEEZ! I could've exited the level and come back...No way, not dealing with the loading...NO WAY. So I managed to do a swim-in-the-air glitch by accident, and used it to get the gem that was on the bottom of the level. Mercy. I'm currently at 40%, I'm almost halfway there...

Cloud 9

I must say, this level gave me a lot of Cloud Spires/Shady Oasis vibes. The music is nice, and the level for the most part is smooth sailing. One thing I don't get though. You can kill the Thunder Cloud enemies with...Lightning...huuhhhhh? The minigame where you shoot down the airships is the easiest thing ever, seriously. The other minigame was a speedway level which I was estatic to see. By the way, the go-karts on the Rainbow Road look a bit familiar (Cough)Mario(Choke). I liked the stars too. I just liked the noise they make when you kill them... I really have no complaints with this one, but I am missing 20 gems and I can't for the life of me find them. If anyone knows where they are, I'd really appreciate the help. This is also where you can get the Ice Breath...Finally! big_smile

EDIT: There was a cutscene with Ripto and his cronies. I guess Gulp told Crush how to talk as well, but I did like Crush's voice for some reason...

Dragon Dojo Revisited

I used the Ice Breath on the dragon kids to get their kites, which they lose a few seconds after you give it back to them. roll Standing on them is so finicky, you can't exactly stand on them, you just keep stuttering on the ice and you just gotta hope you can jump off them to the rock, annoying is the word of the day. mad Oh well, at least I got all the dragonflies in all the levels I've played so far...

PS: I read somewhere that on some versions of the game, there will be a racing minigame you can't win because the game doesn't let you go beyond third place, I hope this doesn't happen to me...SERIOUSLY!!

Last edited by UpDownLeftWrite (Aug 06, 2014 8:16 PM)

Stop dragon your feet...

#8 Aug 06, 2014 10:41 PM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Award: Globmod
Gems: -4,018
Website

finding gems in ETD *is* extremely annoying. some of the levels are just gigantic. which would be good in theory, but it makes it *so* *hard* to find things.

i always liked the platform minigame, too.

#9 Aug 06, 2014 11:44 PM

UpDownLeftWrite

Stop dragon your feet...

#10 Aug 07, 2014 4:09 AM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Website

i used to have a lot of troubles with controlling Spyro in ETD because i was using the d-pad instead of L3 to move him around. . i really recommend using L3

but overall the controls could have been a lot better, yeah.

#11 Aug 07, 2014 4:01 PM

Paranoia
Award: contest mod
Gems: 136
Birthday: 6 February
Website

100% in Enter the Dragonfly...Godspeed my friend, and good luck. I got pretty close back in the day, but don't think I ever completed the game. Just look at it this way: A Hero's Tail will just be that much better since you had to deal with this game. AHT is a far superior game that is functional, so look forward to that.

I can't imagine how the PS2 version could be worse than the Gamecube one...I played on Gamecube and the loading, framerate, and glitches were all really bad. I remember a glitch in the farm level where everything in the background turned lime green and the only things you could see were Spyro and the enemies.

I'll be checking back in this thread to hear your suffering ;-;

#12 Aug 07, 2014 4:05 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Award: Admin
Gems: 540
Birthday: 3 April
Website

I have actually heard that the Gamecube version is a lot better for some reason. I don't even want to know how bad the PS2 version is if that's true. o.O

About it being harder to find gems in ETD, I think I do remember having that problem, and now that I know the reason is that you can't see them from far away, it just makes me appreciate the small details in the original games that made them good even more.

#13 Aug 07, 2014 5:49 PM

UpDownLeftWrite

Stop dragon your feet...

#14 Aug 14, 2014 2:47 AM

UpDownLeftWrite

I'm sorry about the delay, I've been playing other games lately (mostly Jak and Daxter), and doing a class for astronomy. I kind of owe the Spyro games for getting me into space and such. The background designs for these games are probably my favorite thing about them. I'm going to get back to this terrific game tomorrow and hopefully finish off Monkey Monasteries. Thank you all for your patience.

P.S. Enter the Dragonfly's backgrounds are...bleh...

Stop dragon your feet...

#15 Aug 14, 2014 5:47 PM

Slvr99
Award: Speedway Contest Winner Final
Gems: 10
Birthday: 6 August

Last edited by Slvr99 (Aug 14, 2014 5:49 PM)

#16 Aug 19, 2014 11:52 AM

RadSpyro
Website

#17 Aug 19, 2014 2:08 PM

UpDownLeftWrite

Stop dragon your feet...

#18 Sep 11, 2014 3:38 AM

UpDownLeftWrite

GOOD GOD!! I'm so sorry for this inexcusable delay. This will be finished by the end of the week. Sorry again...

Stop dragon your feet...

#19 Sep 27, 2014 3:59 AM

UpDownLeftWrite

UPDATE: This blog is currently on hiatus due to this game making me seriously exhausted mentally. I am starting a Me, Myself and (insert game here) with A Hero's Tail, you can find it in the A Hero's Tail section...duh.

NOTE: This blog is NOT cancelled, just on hiatus...hopefully...

I also like to thank everyone for sticking with me through this, you guys and gals rock!!

Stop dragon your feet...

#20 Nov 25, 2014 1:42 PM

Steinar
Banned

Its not perfect, but you'll get some fun experience out of some of the levels in the game ^^

Ban reason: Trolling

#21 Apr 27, 2020 7:54 AM

MinerDude369
Gems: 2

Any updates on your journey through this beautiful game after 5 1/2 years of hiatus?

#22 Apr 27, 2020 7:02 PM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Website

Board footer