Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct 28, 2018 7:56 PM

Spyro3Fan200
Gems: 240

I made a Linux Distro (I made an os.)

Last edited by Spyro3Fan200 (Oct 28, 2018 8:01 PM)

#2 Oct 29, 2018 11:28 AM

Gekoncze
Baby Dragon
Award: Speedway Contest Winner Final
Gems: 145

Re: I made a Linux Distro (I made an os.)

Nice smile What was the idea behind creating your own distribution? Was there some special things you wanted to include in your distro that other didn't have?

#3 Oct 29, 2018 6:07 PM

Spyro3Fan200

My distro is based off of Bodhi Linux which is minimal and can run on pretty much any pc. 
My distro takes what Bodhi Linux provides and makes it as lightweight as possible (even compared to the original Bodhi Linux install.) while still having the things you need for everyday usage, and being easy for anyone to use.
For instance the taskbar only shows the time and the sound icon, a start button and windows.
There are not many applications installed, but from what there is installed, there are some open source games, a bunch of web browsers, and then there is Gnotes, (which features the guide of my Distro) and Gimp, (a free and open source photo editor.) lastly I preinstalled the lightweight terminal app Xterm.
These apps make the os install size larger, but the configurations in the os make things lightweight and responsive.
In a future release I do plan to make the install size lower than the 1.7 gb that is in this current release.

#4 Oct 30, 2018 5:29 PM

Gekoncze
Baby Dragon
Award: Speedway Contest Winner Final
Gems: 145

Thats good, I like those lightweight distributions. I myself use Lubuntu, a fork of Ubuntu with LXDE desktop environment. It's pretty fast, but idk how it would compare to Bodhi.. I don't mean just speed, but also the settings options, simplicity of use etc.

#5 Nov 01, 2018 12:20 AM

Spyro3Fan200

Lubuntu, is a smaller version of Ubuntu basically. What makes Linux great is its openness and how anyone can make a distro, and if they think they can do a better job they can. If I remember right, (been awhile since I looked back at Ubuntu.) while the Lubuntu Distro is lightweight they preinstall a lot of apps you probably never use. It's still a good Distro to use but still this is where other Distros come in to fill in the gaps.

Bodhi Linux (standard release) is one of the best lightweight Distro's because it include few essential/lightweight apps, and they let you make the decisions after you install, they never get in your way if you are fine with what they preinstall then that's really all you need for every day use, although I included a few others that I thought they should had added as options to use in my distro.

The Moksha desktop environment included on Bodhi is very costumisable and fairly easy to do so without a terminal, which I took advantage of for my distro of Bodhi Linux.

I think my Distro is pretty lightweight, some of the apps might use an amount of memory. but the os itself is pretty reasonable.

If you do download my distro, you do not have to install my os to use it, you can just do a live boot from a usb stick to test it out.

I did notice an error on the current release of my Distro, I forget to add a way for the user to connect to the wifi network, but I will have the fixed on the next release of my Distro.

Board footer